Get an insider’s perspective on how to tell the human story behind the sporting event. Our Masters of Arts offers you the opportunity to learn sports storytelling from five-time NBA all-star, sports analyst, and film producer Chris Webber and Emmy-winning director/producer and cinematographer Peter Gilbert.
Webber’s two seasons as part of the fabled “Fab Five” at the University of Michigan in the early 90s, and his 15 years as a power forward in the NBA, laid the foundation for his current success as a broadcaster, businessman, philanthropist and steward of African-American culture. Webber is a game analyst and color commentator for Turner sports and is widely regarded as “a “thinking fan’s player-analyst” by both media critics and fans. So it is no surprise he would share common ground with Peter Gilbert, whose Oscar-nominated Hoop Dreams is universally acclaimed as the best sports documentary of all time and has made multiple “best movies ever” critics list. Gilbert and Webber are now bringing their shared passion for sports storytelling with an emphasis on the intersection of sports, culture and society into an academic setting.
Our two-year MA offers you the opportunity to tap into the expertise of this dynamic team and prepare for careers producing sports media examining the complex relationship between sports and society. More specifically, the program will provide you with the skills to produce long form documentary, short films, and website projects through:
- Storytelling skills courses in writing, editing, directing, and cinematography taught by seasoned award-winning filmmakers.
- Challenging coursework, taught by Webber and distinguished Wake Faculty members, that explores the social and cultural role of sports in society.
- Conversations with influential speakers on issues of class, culture and race. Webber will moderate many of these discussions.
- Educational and professional experiences with local and regional sports teams and organizations.
- Internships at local, regional and national sports media and sports communication companies.
Categories: DFP News
- August 10, 2020
- August 10, 2020
- June 14, 2020