Looking for a challenge after graduating with her MFA, Mindy Keeley headed off to spend the summer hog hunting in the woods of Alabama.  Mindy is the third DFP student to use her filmmaking skills to raise awareness about Alabama’s environmental issues as a Southern Exposure Film Fellow. The program provides a small group of college and graduate students the opportunity to develop their own voices as environmental advocates through the use of documentary film, photography, and journalism.

Mindy was one of six film fellows who produced short films about a variety of environmental topics in Alabama.  Her film, Invasive in Alabama, explores the problems caused by invasive species through the experiences of those trying to curb the ever-increasing feral hog population in Northern Alabama.

“I thought Southern Exposure was amazing. I met a lot of great people, the filmmakers especially, but also the environmentalists at the law center, and my subjects were also amazing. It was just a great experience all around. I am so glad I did it and I highly recommend it,” said Keeley.

The films will debut in Alabama on Sept. 16 at 7 p.m. at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens. Additional screenings will follow on Sept. 24 at the Crescent Theater in Mobile and on September 25th at the USA-Baldwin County Performance Center in Fairhope.